The Liver Is Very Important
This is about detoxing the body’s largest gland, the liver. Without a liver, a person cannot
It has a number of functions including, but not limited to:
. Detoxifying the blood to rid it of harmful substances (like toxins, drugs, alcohol, and more)
. Stores vitamins and iron
. Converts stored sugar to usable sugar when the body’s sugar levels fall below normal
. Produces bile, a substance needed to digest fats
. Breaks down haemoglobin as well as insulin and other hormones
. Destroys old red blood cells
The liver performs so many vital functions, and as a result it is very prone to disease.
Detox Your Liver with these 19 Super Foods
1. Beets and Carrots: Carrots are rich in Glutathione, a protein that helps detoxify the liver.
Both are extremely high in plant-flavonoids and beta-carotene. Eating beets and carrots can
help stimulate and improve overall liver function. Studies have also shown Beets to be useful
for hypertension, so remember the link between MTHFR and increased risk of cardiovascular
2. Tomatoes: They have abundant amounts of Glutathione (see article above) which again, are
a great detoxifier for the liver. As a side effect, Lycopene in tomatoes will protect against
breast, skin and lung cancer.
3. Grapefruit: Another source of the liver cleansing glutathione. It’s also high in vitamin C and
antioxidants, which boost the production of liver detoxification enzymes and increase the
natural cleansing process of the liver.
4. Spinach: Raw spinach is also a major source of glutathione, triggering the toxin cleansing
enzymes of the liver.
5. Citrus Fruits: Lemons and limes contain very high amounts of vitamin C, which helps stimulate
the liver and aids the synthesizing of toxic materials into substances that can be absorbed by
6. Cabbage: The isothiocyanates (ITCs) made from cabbage’s glucosinolates provides liver
detoxifying enzymes that help flush out toxins. Ensure these are lightly steamed when thyroid
TSH markers are out of range. (and other cruciferous vegies, remember they are all excellent
detoxifiers, think Broccoli powder etc)
7. Turmeric: Turmeric is the liver’s favourite spice and helps boost liver detox. It does this
by assisting enzymes that actively flush out dietary carcinogens.
8. Walnuts: Walnuts are a good source of glutathione, omega-3 fatty acids, and the amino acid
arginine, which supports normal liver cleansing actions, especially when detoxifying ammonia.
9. Avocados: A nutrient-dense superfood, avocado helps the body produce glutathione. Also
very healthy source of monosaturated fats. The body needs healthy fats and oils for fuel.
They keep you feeling full for longer and assist the elimination of added sugar!!
10. Apples: They are high in pectin and other chemicals essential to cleansing and releasing
toxins from the digestive tract. Apples make it easier for the liver to handle the toxic load
during the cleansing process.
11. Brussels sprouts: Brussels sprouts are high in sulphur and glucosinolate, which forces the
liver to release enzymes that block damage from environmental or dietary toxins. (Another
12. Garlic: Garlic is loaded with sulphur, which activates liver enzymes that help your body
flush out toxins. Garlic also holds high amounts of allicin and selenium, two natural compounds
that also aid in liver cleansing and are anti-bacterial. Garlic is also an essential nutrient for
the cardiovascular system.
13. Dandelion: Dandelion root tea assists the liver in breaking down fats, producing amino acids,
and generally ridding it of toxins.
14. Leafy Green Vegetables: Green veggies are extremely high in plant chlorophylls that
absorb environmental toxins, increase bile production, and neutralize heavy metals, chemicals
and pesticides, and lowers the burden on the liver.
15. Cruciferous Vegetables: Eating broccoli and cauliflower will increase production of
glucosinolate in your system, which helps flush out carcinogens and other toxins.
16. Asparagus: Asparagus is a great diuretic, helping in the cleansing process and sharing the
detox load of the liver and kidneys.
17. Green Tea: Green tea is full of plant antioxidants known as catechins, a compound known
to assist liver function.
18. Olive Oil: Cold-pressed organic oils such as olive, hemp, and flaxseed offer great support
for the liver, providing the body with a liquid base that can suck up harmful toxins in the body.
19. Alternative Grains: Gluten rich grains such as wheat and rye increase the load on the liver’s
detox function and enzyme production. Switch to alternative grains like quinoa, millet, and
buckwheat. Include nutritious seeds, such as chia, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds.
Remember organic is best
Most standard farming practices load crops with herbicides, pesticides and chemicals to
increase yield, deter or kill pests and create a “better” looking product at the detriment
of our health and the health of the environment.